« Back to Articles|
Feb 16, 2010 -
How To Become a Hair Stylist
How To Become a Hair Stylist
When it comes to styling hair, having experience and a good reputation is important. You should start of by learning different hair styling techniques and how to use hair styling tools. Reading blogs and watching video tutorials are a great start. Once you feel like this is the route you want take, enroll yourself in beauty school. Below are tips & advice that will help you get started with your career endeavors.
- Prepared to dish out on a lot of money. Beauty and hair school aren’t cheap; neither is hair styling tools or products to build your kit. If you are driven, determined, and confident enough, that money will come back to you.
- Research and register to your local beauty / hair schools. You can even ask your favorite hair stylist or dresser how he / she got started and ask if they can personally train you.
- There are many different types and courses of hair styling including but not limited to: cutting, coloring, weaving, braiding, etc. It’s helpful to be good in all aspects. Study the courses that interest you first and strengthen those sectors to build your core.
- Practice, practice, practice. If your family and friends are brave enough to trust their hair in your hands, ask them if you can practice different hair-do’s and designs, basic trims and colors.
- After hair school, assist or apprentice with an experienced hairstylist. Who best to learn from than this article, any other article, than someone who’s been in this industry?
- Test, test, test. Familiarize yourself with your talent and build your portfolio. That’s where WE work best. Contact photographers, models, and/or makeup artists via ModelURL that would need a hair stylist and show your art.
- Do you want to establish your own salon or work for one? Do you even want to work for a salon at all? These are questions down the line that you should ask yourself.
Hair stylists have a great deal of fun and love their job. This position requires a great deal of passion and creativity. If you’re a people person and you love styling hair, then you’ll be the perfect fit for a hair stylist job.
Quick & Easy Steps To Get You Started As A Hair Stylist On ModelURL.com
Take advantage of the network on ModelURL.com. Get acquainted with as many people as you can and landing a hair stylist job will not be difficult. Be open-minded and learn from other professional hair stylists.
- Create a ModelURL.com account
- Start browsing portfolios of other hair stylists
- Expand your network and make connections with the hair stylists that you like
- Ask questions in our discussion forums
- Search for models & photographers who need a hair stylist & offer your talent
- Upload & share photos of your work with the rest of the fashion community
- Give yourself more visibility and update your ModelURL status at least once a day & be active in the discussion forums
- Review the work of other artists
Login or Sign Up to comment